Below are interesting statistics on social media usage. Feel free to share your favorite social media statistics in the comments section.
- 38,000,000 people in the US age 13 – 80 said their purchasing decisions are influenced by social media, a 14% increase in the past six months (Source: Knowledge Networks)
- 1,000,000 people view customer service related tweets every week, with 80% of them being critical or negative in nature (Source: TOA Technologies)
- 132.5 million people in the US will use Facebook this year; by 2013 the number will increase to 152.1 million (Source: eMarketer)
- 59% of Internet users use at least one social networking service, compared to 34 percent who did in 2008 (Source: Pew Internet)
- 176,000,000 US Internet users watched online video content in May 2011, an average of 15.9 hours per viewer(Source: comScore)
- 81 minutes was the average daily use of mobile apps in June 2011, compared to 74 minutes for the Web (Source: Flurry)
- 750,000,000 monthly active users for social networking giant Facebook, up from 500 million active monthly users last year (Source: TechCrunch)
- 12% of US adults had an e-book reader as of May 2011, up from 6% in November 2010 (Source: Pew Internet)
Believe there is a science to social media? Here is an interesting infographic on the science of social timing.