Below are interesting statistics on social media usage. Feel free to share your favorite social media statistics in the comments section.
- 300,000,000 Twitter users as of May 2011, up from 200 million in February (Source: Twopcharts)
- 79,000,000 users for professional social network LinkedIn as of March 2011 (Source: comScore)
- 1,000,000 Facebook Fans bring in an average of 826 Likes and 309 comments per post (Source: Simplify360)
- 40% of companies measure social media performance on a quarterly or annual basis, while 13% don’t measure social media ROI at all (Source: Hypatia Research)
- 13% of online adults use Twitter, an increase from 8% in November 2010 (Source: Pew Research)
- 3 billion views per day on YouTube, a 50% increase over last year (Source: YouTube)
- $120,000 to purchase a Promoted Trend on Twitter for a single day, up from $25,000 in April 2010 (Source: Twitter)
- 56% of all shared content on the Web is shared via Facebook, an 11% increase from August 2010 (Source: ShareThis)
- $31.3 billion is expected to be spent on online advertising in the US in 2011, a 20% increase over 2010 (Source: eMarketer)
- 5.2 hours per month on average spent by US visitors to social networking sites (Source: comScore)
- 4.9 is the average number of clicks on a link shared via Twitter, ranking it ahead of Facebook (4.3 clicks) and email (1.7 clicks) (Source: ShareThis)
Want the 101 on Twitter? Check out this infographic on the who, why and how of Twitter.